Registered tax agents are entitled to charge you a fee for preparing tax returns and preparing activity statements. Tax agents give advice and services on all tax and super issues, lodging tax returns, prepare notices or statements.

Registered BAS agents (Bookkeepers) are entitled to charge you a fee for preparing activity statements if they are registered as a BAS agent with the Tax Practitioner Board (TPB).
Non registered bookkeepers cannot charge for Any services provided.tpb-agent-logo-84858007_colour
If the bookkeeper is an employee they may do this work for you and do not need to be registered.

BAS agents provide advice and services on the following tax and super issues:

  • GST
  • fuel tax
  • luxury car tax
  • wine equalisation tax
  • fringe benefits tax (collection and recovery only)
  • pay as you go (PAYG) withholding
  • PAYG instalments.

Agents must follow strict regulations that ensure they act in a professional manner.

Regardless of who records and reports information, you are still legally responsible for the accuracy of the information.

You can check if a Tax or BAS agent is registered with the Tax Practitioners Board